Thursday, October 16, 2008

Doesn't anyone make REAL Pumpkin Pie?

One extra step is all it takes to make a non-canned pumpkin pie. Cut and de-seed the pumpkin and bake it in a 350 degree oven until nice and soft. Scoop out the pumpkin flesh and use instead of the canned stuff!

Pumpkin Fact:
Canned pumpkin is actually better for you than the pumpkins you buy in the grocery store due to the fact that the pumpkin is harvested at the peak of freshness. It has had time to ripen and develop its vitamins on the vine. The pumpkins at the grocery store are plucked from the vine early, and ripen as they are headed to the store.

But hey! I love to make things that have not been handled by people in a factory.

2 comments:

Helen said...

I've been cooking my pumpkins after Halloween for a couple of years now. I love pumpkin bread and muffins and pie...yummmm!
I let my cooked pumpkin sit in a strainer for a while before I put it into containers to freeze to let out some of the moisture- it can be pretty watery if you don't.

Mary said...

Thanks for the tip! I'm making some pies next weekend. I've never tried pumpkin bread, I've got to find a recipe.

This has got to be my favorite time of year. I think it's all the good food! :)